Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Week 88 - "I Got Hit by a Car"

  I think I am a typical parent in that I pray for my children each day. I pray for their success at school, that they will be watched over and protected and return home safely, etc. Well, one of those prayers was definitely answered this past week. Unbeknownst to me, until reading the weekly email, Elder Schaff was hit by a car while riding his bike last week! Thankfully, he sustained no injuries, and his bike is fine as well. Our family is extremely grateful, we realize that it could have been much, much worse. I am very grateful to a loving Heavenly Father for watching over and protecting my missionary son, and for the power of prayer.

Met an old friend at DLC, Elder Derbidge and Elder Schaff

"Social Justice League" graffiti

Elder Murray had a birthday, and as is Mexican tradition, got his head shoved into a cake

  "Well it was a great week! Here's the highlights:

  I finished exchanges with all the Elders. I got "hit" by a car. We'll get there. In that process I lost my phone. Our investigator, Roberto, prayed for himself! I recovered my phone 3 days later, and on Sunday, Bishop taught some impressive teachings--they brought the Spirit and really helped the ward to understand the significance of the Gospel better.

  I exchanged with my old companion Elder Corless, as well as Elder Lilly. Both seem to have grown since the last transfer and are doing well. On the exchange with Elder Lilly, we began teaching one of their investigators at about 4:20 pm, and finished near 5:00, so we had to hurry to dinner to meet up with the other 4 Elders. On the way there, we passed by an alleyway. I had never been to that part of town, so I was unfamiliar with the existence of this alleyway. Elder Lilly made it past the alley, saw a car in his peripheral, and slowed down enough to see my destruction as he tried to warn me.

  From my perspective it went like this: (in mind:) "alright, we're almost there, I'll catch up to Elder Lilly." "Path is clear!" <<Car pulls out of alley>> "!?!?!" *Hits brakes in vain* <<Crthunk!>> *flops on hood of car.* *Climbs off car.*

  All was roses, and then in about 3 seconds my life changed. Fortunately, I made a seamless transition from the bike to the hood of the car. I didn't smack any knees or scrape any limbs. I was totally fine. I just got right up after I stopped moving and addressed the situation. Unfortunately, all the contents of my pocket spilled out on their car. I picked up my planner and pass-along-cards, but I didn't notice my phone, it blended in quite nicely with the gap, it was in between the hood and the windshield. So I gave these people a pass-along-card and rode off. The bike didn't even take damage! I just put a small dent in their car, but they said they would fix it and not charge me. Then they drove off.

  Elder Lilly and I traveled the next minute, arrived at dinner, and then I discovered I had no phone. We looked everywhere, to no avail. That was embarrassing. I was the first in the California Fresno Mission to lose my phone. (they just received new phones, and his is borrowed, so we didn't have to buy one for only 3 months) Well, I wasn't going to just give up, so the next day we went back to the place where I got hit, because it had 8 apartments there, and the guy that was in the passenger's seat of the car that hit me was there. His girlfriend (the driver) found the phone and had it. He gave us her number. She responded to one text message, which only said "I told him to tell you I'm in Fresno today and can't give it to you." Subsequent trips to the location of the crash were required to eventually get the phone in her boyfriend's hands, and then to ours, 3 days later. These were the flakiest people I've ever needed to contact. Even worse than former or non-progressing investigators! They never responded to calls or texts, and it was a mess. I had hope I would get the phone back, but Elder Wyne later told me he thought I had no chance of getting it, so I guess it was a miracle.

  The moral of the story? I forgot to pray for that "basic" blessing of protection. All day! You know, the line we usually just throw in there. I'm not sure that necessarily made the difference, but it was an interesting note we made. Regardless, God was still merciful in helping me out.

  Aside from that mess, there was also District Leadership Council. President clarified rather precisely the bounds of technology use. I had to teach my district to use it more wisely, because we weren't doing the best job in following all the rules. Fortunately, with clarification, most of the problems were fixed up.

  Roberto learned to pray, which was amazing. I wasn't there though, it was the day that I was out with Elder Lilly. Other than that, Elder Wyne and I have been working hard to talk to more people and find new people to teach. We found a basketball tournament that is apparently held every Sunday at a local park. Lots of Hispanos allí. We tried contacting some of the crowd, some went well, others not so much, but it's a good place we know about now!

  At sacrament meeting, Bishop taught about the Restoration clearly and powerfully. During second hour, they combined all the classes, and he taught about the importance of tithing, which became a discussion on conversion. It was filled with the Spirit, and best described like Nephi's words: after the manner of plainness. If you were in Madera Spanish ward, you would have liked it. Ha ha.

  This week I was given several commitments in the District Leadership Council to study about leadership. I had a wonderful opportunity to grow from this experience. I will expound on these later--Ezekiel 33 and 34, as well as Doctrine and Covenants 104:13,16.

  The whole district is going to lunch, and for the first time ever, I just was given permission to pause email time, so I will return and tell you more!

--Elder Schaff


  Alright, well the remainder of what I was going to say:

  Ezekiel 33 is, as we know, the teaching of the watchman on the tower. It was  a good chapter to help me to understand more clearly the responsibilities of being a leader. I feel like I have understood them well, but these passages made it even more clear. The chapter teaches after the watchman example that: if the righteous [turn] to iniquity, all his [past] righteousness shall not be remembered." Additionally, it says: "If the wicked turn from his sin...he shall not die." The Lord wants us to be consistent, to repent constantly. We are to set the example for others to make those changes, by living that constantly. Doing so will help others to bring the wonders of repentance to their lives, and we will fulfill our role as watchmen.

  Chapter 34 teaches of the "Shepherds of Israel." The chapter chastises the false shepherds that had blessed their own lives from the flock, rather than helping the sheep. These could be those who exercise unrighteous dominion, or those who attempt to exercise power without the priesthood of God. Though they seek to guide, they lead astray. The words of Christ then enter and explain that he himself will reclaim the sheep."I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick." No mention of other shepherds is made. It dawned on me that if we are to contribute to leading Zion at all, then we had better have some Christ-like character and attributes, and be willing to sacrifice to bless those around us. If not, we cannot be those shepherds.

  Finally, I enjoyed Doctrine and Covenants 104:13 and 16. The verses in between aren't bad either. The Lord describes that stewards are part of his plan to make all accountable. Accordingly, in verse 16, we learn that stewardships "provide for the saints, that the poor shall be exalted, in that the rich are made low." Thus, stewardships establish the harmony and consecration of Zion, bringing peace and joy to all. I found that interesting, as it is marked as Christ's way to provide for his people. I am engaged in a part of that. Some things to consider next time you have anything to do with teaching or working with anyone else in the church. Or even in life. We have an example to watch over people.

  That's all I have this week for events. Have a great week everyone!

--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment