Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Week 83 - Transfer Calls

  This was the news from Elder Schaff for this week. I had written to him and asked several questions that I needed him to answer regarding packages we had sent, whether he had received his replacement driver's license, etc. So after he responded to all of that, this was his update.

  "Ok, now that I've answered questions, here's what happened this week:

  • Our companionship started doing better than ever before
  • We had a temple trip
  • We did service in the Vineyard, pruning and tying grape vines.
  • I had district leadership council
  • We had an exchange with the Madera Spanish Elders.
  • We helped a member move out of her house
  • TRANSFER CALLS----Elder L and I got transferred.
  • President called and told me I will be opening another area of work in the Madera Spanish ward
  • Also, I'll be training a new missionary while I do that....
Signs of spring at the temple grounds

Elders from the Zone at the Fresno Temple
  
Eating with the Zone at Buffalo Wild Wings after the temple trip
  That was the week. It passed by incredibly fast. I have no fears concerning time, it will all be over too fast! ¡Asi es con misiones! Once you get the hang of it, and aren't struggling to survive, well then it passes by faster than the Olympic 100m dash. But that's alright, I'm in a full-on sprint here. As long as technology doesn't trip me up (smart phones coming April 10th or so), I'll be leaving a good mark on the California Fresno Mission.

  Our biggest successes were teaching Unique about the Plan of Salvation and the Doctrine of Christ. She accepted an invitation to pray about if she should be baptized. Another young man named Robert, also accepted the invitation to pray about baptism. Both these two feel the Spirit when we visit, and are working on discovering for themselves if it is the missing piece their soul is looking for. Elder C will have to keep me updated.

  Our leadership council was on obedience and adhering to the Missionary Handbook to uplift and edify oneself and others in missionary service. This was important, because as missionaries have been trusted with more agency on their decisions, they must also understand that some things cannot ever be stepped over--the rules of the handbook. As President Mackay put it: (paraphrased, but close:) "Unwritten rules are for you to be an agent unto yourself about, but as for the missionary handbook, those standards cannot be compromised." I know that's true. I have strived to live my mission that way, and I feel like I have been exceedingly blessed.

 Our companionship resolved all of the unspoken conflicts this week and as a result we really came together. Of course, we pulled that off the last week and then got transferred, but we learned our lesson! I was able to help my dear companions. I learned a lot this transfer, but I seem to learn a new lesson everywhere I go. Ultimately, being Christ-like always wins. I'm not perfect, but I've had a lot of success working with other missionaries when I remember to be Christ-like.

  I'll miss my companions, but it'll be alright. We'll find each other again in days to come.

Saying good bye to Elder Corless at the transfer hub

My companions- Elder Corless and Elder Laughlin

At the transfer hub, farewell to Elder Laughlin
Silly hats- Elders Laughlin and Schaff

Elder L's famous catch phrase printed on a taco sauce packet, "and...that happened"


  This week I'll be with an Elder in Echo Ward until Thursday, when I meet my trainee. I'm sure I'll have some crazy stories to tell by next week. If not crazy, at least interesting to me, to see what comes from training a new missionary.

Love ya family!


--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment