Thursday, April 5, 2018

Week 85 - Easter 2018 and April General Conference

  Many months ago, when Elder Schaff first arrived in Fresno to begin his mission, the very first weekend in California, was October 2016 General Conference. I realized then, that 4 conference weekends would pass before he returned home, and here we are, at number 4! I love General Conference weekend because I know that somewhere in California, Elder Schaff is watching it at the same time that I am watching. Somehow that is just comforting to me. This last Sunday was also Easter, so I was happy to hear that he received his orange milk chocolate sponge candy and other treats to enjoy over the holiday weekend.

  With about 16 weeks, 4 months and a little less than 3 transfers to go, Hayden's mission will be over before he knows it. He has lots of responsibilities as a trainer and a district leader, and many things to schedule each week. He has always been extremely conscientious and determined to do all things with his maximum effort, and this week, I can see that this is all stressing him out a little. He is fine, just being challenged.

  "Hey mom, here's my portion I sent to Dad. I'll cover your questions in another one, but this sums up most of the week. I'm feeling quite tired right now!"


Dear Dad-

General Conference, Salt Lake City, UT


  Interestingly enough, Elder Bednar's talk on meekness is also my decided favorite! I had always dismissed meekness as a part of humility, which was an error. The talk brought me significantly greater understanding, and a vision of what I could accomplish in becoming more like my Savior.

Meek and Lowly of Heart by Elder David A. Bednar

  It's been a bitter afternoon though. Nothing terrible, but sports in the district got too competitive. Pride and taunts started to increase and the Spirit noticeably weakened. It's not fun to lead or be required to teach a meeting in three hours without the Spirit, but I won't dwell on that. It's something to address as a district leader though.

  Additionally, I enjoyed Larry Y. Wilson's talk about prayer, the Spirit, and revelation. The theme of asking God what part you must play in His work to get an answer really struck me. It's a proactive way to pray instead of solely hoping that something will take place to benefit you. Though sometimes we do pray on those conditions, if we can act we should.

Take the Holy Spirit as Your Guide by Elder Larry Y. Wilson

  Of course, President Nelson's remarks on personal revelation deeply struck me also. I could deeply feel the Spirit in his words, and knew them to be true. I believe the 5 promises he extended in that message will come true as I will heed his 6 invitations given.

Revelation for the Church, Revelation for our Lives by President Russell M. Nelson

  The changes were interesting, but needed. As a missionary, I've seen those programs fail time and time again. Madera 1 had 4 Elders in the Quorum, and Chowchilla had 5-7. Both had more High Priests. That was a good inspired change. (this in reference to the announcement in General Conference that the Elders Quorum and High Priests would be combined for weekly Sunday meetings)

Introductory Remarks by President Russell M. Nelson

  The Spirit of home teaching has been changed to better function as the Savior would have it work, but now is the crux of the matter. I read the guidelines to it after conference. It invites more revelation to who is ministered to, which is expedient and needed. Ultimately what will determine it's success is whether Zion will be idle and be at ease with itself, or if Zion will be striving to make valiant efforts and accomplish the Lord's will. For even if revelation indicates who is prepared, if nobody acts upon it, save the previously faithful home and visiting teachers, no  additional work will be accomplished. That's what I see. It's a great chance to heal the Lord's work for saving Zion. Because those ministering visits really do save souls. It's a shame how neglected it has been.
  I love everything about my work right now except being a district leader. Planning exchanges is a nightmare with all the meetings we have had for the new missionaries. To do 10 exchanges in 6 weeks, I need to do 2 a week for 4 weeks, and then 1 a week for the other two. But since no exchanges were able to be accomplished week one, as I had just barely gotten Elder Wyne, it's looking chaotic. I've got one done. I really enjoyed being able to minister as a district leader last transfer, but the burdens of the call have caught up to me.

  We found a family to teach this last week, which has been good. We're getting the ball rolling as far as work in our area goes.

  Everything passes by so quickly now. I'm working to leave my mark on the California Fresno Mission and Madera, because now is my time to strengthen the Lord's servants in this part of the Vineyard, and then I'll be forgotten! Which is okay and part of the cycle.

  I leave you with a picture of Elder Austin and I. (Elder Royce's trainee, they live in the house with us.)



  I think this is all I have.  Thanks for your love and support! I send mine.

--Elder Schaff

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm one of the people who met Elder Schaff in a previous area. I love this blog based on his letters and it's awesome to see how he's making a difference in the lives of people that he crosses paths with while on mission. Please tell him that I said hi and that he definitely left a positive impression with me and he is not forgotten! I hope and pray that he continues to be encouraged and strengthened in his new roles as a leader and trainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, thanks for commenting, I love hearing from people that our son has interacted with while serving in CA. I will copy and paste your message in an email to him. Take care.

      Delete