Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Week 89- Just Two More Transfers to Go

  I wrote to Elder Schaff and told him everything that was going on at home. Then I noticed on the calendar app on my phone, that it was a transfer week for his mission. I figured that he would not be affected by this transfer, since training a new missionary typically lasts for 12 weeks or 2 transfers, and he and Elder W have only been together for 6 weeks, but I was wrong. There was a change. This is what he wrote to me-

  "I did get affected by the transfer actually. It was the most suspenseful and nerve-wracking process of the week. At the end of it all, I got called to be a Zone Leader, assigned with Elder T, and we will finish training Elder W together this transfer. I'm glad I got to stay with Elder W because I was scared to death that we would be separated. To be honest,  I'm bummed about the transfer. Elder W and I had a great thing going. Elder T is going to play football after his mission, and well, he has the mentality of a football player. Usually not my crowd. I've been around him a lot though, so I know how he functions. When I was in Selma he was in the other district. He and Elder K have been companions the last 12 weeks here in Madera, as the Zone Leaders. Elder K is going back to be a Zone Leader in Fresno, and I'm taking his spot.

  Elder T holds himself tough, is a little rough and seldom takes correction from others. He's very firm in his opinions and slow to change. However, he does have a soft spot, and if you can keep him peaceable, then he will be an excellent help to you and whoever you teach. So here's to not getting him angry or beyond his temper. I know President did this because my strengths can help Elder T fill his weaknesses, and his strengths can fill mine. Unfortunately, there is that looming risk of unnecessary aggression that I am not looking forward to. Elder W was also glad to stay with me. We've had a good time together, and been able to uplift one another. Other than that, not a lot happened. The Zone Leader area is in our ward. We've been working closely with them this whole time.

  Elder W and I found a few new people to teach. We will probably continue teaching one of them and leave the rest to the Elders that enter into our area. We also made more progress on the Ward Directory. We discovered that 50 households have moved! That explains the low statistics the ward has. Two Sundays prior, Bishop taught about tithing and mentioned that the rate of full tithes is 7% in the Ward. I suppose you are off to a rough start if 40% of the ward has disappeared to new places!

  Elder L and I had a chance to give talks in sacrament meeting about Missionary Work. We both prepared a lot, and the Spirit did most of the teaching. I felt a lot of power as I spoke. That was a good time to rejoice. When the work goes right, it brings me peace. That's what I seek after now. The Lord has given me another challenge to grow, and I expect that this pattern will continue each transfer. I thought training would be a challenge, but Elder W made it easy. Hopefully I'm saying that again in 6 weeks!

--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment