Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Week 75 - My Mission Conversion

  I was surprised to get a nice, long email from Elder Schaff this week because he and his companion had made plans to visit Yosemite National Park with some church members this last Monday. Unfortunately, the day trip was canceled because of the federal government shut down. The park service was affected and the bathrooms locked up and there was only limited access in and out, so that was postponed. Hopefully they can go on another preparation day before he leaves this area. Here is his email from week 75-

  "Well, once you get this you will already know the news. Our trip to Yosemite was cancelled. It's a bummer, but we'll hope to go the last week of the transfer if possible. Of all the reasons why, it was politics. When does politics affect missionaries? "Someone's got a frowny face!" --One guy at theme park in Despicable Me.

  Anyway, yes, because of the government shutdown that happened. The government shutdown affected all workers, and thus, state parks and staff. Half of Yosemite is now blocked, and difficult to visit, save it be foot trekking. Additionally, the bathrooms are all locked and will not be opened until the shutdown ends. As such, the members that were willing to take us were turned off by those conditions. We were still willing, but it didn't work out for us this time. So that was too bad, but it's okay.

  What exactly is The Melting Pot? (I wrote to him that we had celebrated his sister's birthday at that restaurant.) Something new? Now there are kids showing us the new Nintendo Switch or Xbox when we're in member homes and I marvel to see that I don't know what the world is like anymore. It's a blessing for now!

  That's too bad to hear about Charlie. (Our dog has had some health problems lately) It seems that things are getting better and better for the family, but he isn't fairing too well!

  I'm glad Sydney enjoyed the card. I sent a box of excess stuff back home today. It was $60 though! Fortunately I can charge that to the Mission Card and have had an excess this month. I guess I made it too heavy. I got rid of a bunch though, so it should help out when I make the final trip home to not lug it around. I thought for sure they were up selling me, since boxes you send me are usually $20-30, but who knows? I did agree to faster shipping because the price difference was $3 with that size apparently.

  Moving on, last week we got permission to watch the broadcast of the new first presidency announcement, which was super exciting! So I did see that and it was wonderful. I liked the invitation to stay true to the covenant path. In the end, that's the greatest thing we can do in this life. It's important to remember that. It was interesting that President Nelson called Elder Oaks to be a counselor, as he would have been the President of the Twelve, but I could feel the Spirit of the decision. Elder Oaks' wisdom makes sense for these latter days and troubling times. Especially when the press attacked with the two questions on LGBT and diverse leadership in the church. Those were some bitter sounding questions. I liked the answers though: between the lines it seemed to say: "That's not really a problem at all because you are trying to conform Christ's church (approved by God) to the world's standard. That's a bad idea!"

  Yesterday I gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting about the "small and simple" things.  Two Sister Missionaries also returned home from their missions to our ward here in Chowchilla. They served in Arizona and Honduras. The one from Arizona offered her help anytime to visit investigators. She must have really enjoyed her time! I know once I finish I will definitely try to help the missionaries out. Of course, time always runs short, but it can be found.

  I would like to share some spiritual experiences once again as well, I feel like I haven't conveyed too many lately. So the highlight of this week was visiting with Brother D, a member that hasn't attended church since the 60's. He is Irish and a big-time family man. He said he was convinced he cannot find the back-door to heaven, and knows he needs to come back and set his life straight again. Problem is, like many less-active members, he has a bit of the defeatist outlook and doesn't think he is even worthy to return. He wants to learn more and apply it first. But he is determined to do that, so we started from there. Now he is praying and reading the Book of Mormon again. He wants to teach all of his family the Gospel as well, but once he has returned. (They are Catholic.) So if we can connect him with the Spirit and let the Holy Ghost heal him, some miracles might take place. Elder B asked him if he still believed that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and if he still had the faith to follow Christ. He agreed that he did. The Spirit was so strong there as we testified that there is a way back for him, and a great hope with that as well. Truly the Savior desires to forgive us, and this man, and so many others, so that we can all return to Heavenly Father one day. This is why the church ministers to its members. There is hope for the lost sheep and the prodigal son. Think what you can do to find one!

  I've also reached Helaman 6 in the Book of Mormon where I am recording things learned from every page. If only I had done it when I was at home. Now I can take joy, comfort, and relaxation from reading the Book of Mormon. That was previously filled with games typically. The Scriptures are now quite precious to me. If one will read them with real intent, conversion is inevitable.

  Thus I see that my mission really has never been glamorous. I haven't really converted people with powerful miracles and preaching. Yet, I have converted myself with miracles of the Spirit. Though my work and legacy may be forgotten, there are those few individuals, such as my companions, and those I was a part of converting, that will remember my heart and love. I have learned to lift as Christ did--with intent to do good, instead of to receive a reward.

  I hope things will continue to go well back at home! We'll have to wait on Yosemite!

--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment