Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Week 73 - New Year, New Companion

  Happy New Year! I am personally thrilled that it is finally 2018, because this is the year that Elder Schaff comes home!! In fact, he will most likely be back around August 1st. That doesn't seem very far away, so I am excited.
  I was also excited to hear from Hayden this week. It was a long wait though, as his preparation day has switched back to Monday. So, he wrote on Saturday, December 30th and he knew that he would be leaving the mission office and going back to teaching in the field, but he did not know where he would be transferred to. Nine days later he wrote again, on Monday January 8th, and he sent 41 photos and a short email. He told us a little about his new companion, but doesn't say where he was transferred to, sometimes he forgets important details. Some of the other missionary moms on Facebook are telling me that he is north of Fresno now, up in the Merced area. Here is his email this week-

  "This contains everything from Hmong New Year to the New Year's Eve Bonfire Devotional we had in Fresno North, all the way to Transfer Hub. 

  I'll miss Elder Noyes and the missionaries of that Zone. We were unified and there was a great Spirit there. That Bonfire night was wonderful. President shared some remarks with us that were uplifting.





New Years Eve 2017 Bonfire

  Also, the Hmong Elder haggled for us so we could get a little bit of Hmong stuff at a good price. The Hmong New Year Celebration was interesting. They run it just like a Bazaar.





  I don't have a picture with my new companion, Elder Baconawa, yet, so sorry! He's from the Philippines, 5'2'', wears glasses, black hair, soft-spoken, quiet, and very obedient. He's had some tough transfers recently, but we are getting along well.

Packing up for transfers on January 2nd

Looking sad about leaving, after living 5 months here.
  The area is pretty tough. Pray for me! Nobody wants to listen to us, and we only have a few investigators. The members are really kind and welcoming though. Also, President makes it seem that I'm destined to train a new missionary next transfer, so I may be here until May. I'm going to have to make it count! I will have yet another area to turn around.

  I may also get the chance to get up to Yosemite, since this is the closest I've ever been. 








  The area is 80% English 20% Spanish. However, there are a lot of Spanish members. English non-members are always really rude though, I wish there were more Spanish-speakers. It's been challenging to teach Spanish. It's come right back to me, the vocab hasn't been a problem, but Elder B doesn't speak any Spanish, which is quite the hurdle. That's all I've got, I meant to write more, but I had to catch up with Joel (Elder Christopherson) and Nathaniel (Elder Burnard) a bit.

  I hope all is well.


Love ya!

--Elder Schaff


Hayden didn't write about it, but looks like he and some of the missionaries enjoyed a wonderful steak dinner on preparation day this week at Tahoe Joe's. Happy New Year indeed!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment