Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Week 71 - December 23rd

  We wrote to Elder Schaff the Saturday before Christmas and this was his news to his Dad and I. His Dad had written to him about the magic of the Christmas season, I will quote some of his email, so that Hayden's response makes more sense, "...I wondered if I would ever feel the magic I felt at home around Christmas once I left on my mission. My mom found me and I shared my thoughts and she smiled and told me three things. As long as you make sure Christmas is focused on selflessness, love and the Savior it will always be magical and wonderful.  Some traditions will carry forward and others will change and new ones will take their place, but keep it centered on the Savior for he embodies love and selflessness. So sure enough, I went on my mission and found that to be true and found it to be true again as I got married and had kids. Christmas is magical and amazing when it is filled with love and selflessness and the Savior."

  "Hi Dad, I was mulling that over the other day. I too stopped and wondered if the Christmas magic stays or if it is just doomed to fade away. Being a missionary is like the last stand to avoid growing up, and then it all just ends. Life gets pretty busy after that. Without the Gospel, it would all be rather meaningless. Life is simply too short! I'm glad I have that in my life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

  It's been different this year. The office work, combined with the holidays, made for meeting and serving a lot of missionaries, as well as enjoying their visits in. At the same time, people have had family over and don't want us around. Hard to be a missionary on the 23rd, 24th and 25th in a family area. These are the days where the lonely or the afflicted need help, and we don't seem to have the luck to cross their paths.

  Regardless, I'm excited for Christmas. One negative effect of the Mission is that "the holiday season" isn't a thing. It doesn't feel like Christmas until Christmas Day. Because whether it's June 25th or December 24th, missionaries do the same thing. I think the difficulty this year is honestly the fact that the "English" people have been way ruder to us than the Hispanics. Sorry, I'm trying not to be a pessimistic bum! We both know that we can live longer with optimism, but Christmas is looking bright. I'll be able to call you, the Zone is getting together to watch Moana and do a small white elephant, and we have some breakfast, brunch, and dinner invitations. I'm really looking forward to it.

  Sometimes, in writing, it seems pretty drab to be a missionary, but it really has been and will continue to be wonderful. I think now that it's round 2 of the holidays I've finally been unable to repress missing playing board games with the family. I miss being able to just sit down and have a good time! 

  This week we had District Leadership Council, a meeting with President and all the District Leaders. It was great and gave me some of the most insightful teachings I've studied or learned about this week. A lot of what we learned came from King Benjamin's example and his desire to be righteous while teaching the people why they should follow his example and how it would bless them. President expounded upon the "why" and the "how," teaching us that it is important to teach these things to others, that those we teach (such as members of the district) will be able to take these things and become righteous leaders themselves. We also discussed serving with love and effective goals and expectations, as well as quite a few other administrative things. I just wish we had covered all of that during week 2 or 3 instead of week 5 of the transfer! They let me be in the dark for 5 weeks! Ha ha. I've managed to fare well regardless.

  Let's see, what else? Elder Noyes has become a Tabasco addict. My taste in hot sauces led him on a quest for his favorite, which happened to be the enhancer, Tabasco. He quickly bought the other flavors, chipotle, green, and a mini original "just in case." This has been funny. He frequently remarks that I've ruined him and got him addicted to peppers and vinegar, but I tell him he did it to himself. I'm not much of a fan of original Tabasco, but I really like the chipotle and the green.

  My final task in the Mission Office is as daunting as a final boss of some game. I have to conquer the Annual Mission History. I've been collecting things and preparing to get that all together. I have to write a summary of each month and suddenly it's like a school project all over again. They can't let me off easy I guess!

  President Mackay has decided on the Elder to fill my spot. I was going to name him, but I'm supposed to keep it concealed since President hasn't actually told him yet. He also serves in Echo currently, so Elder Noyes joked that you must have to be a Spanish speaking missionary, with glasses, that served in the Echo Ward to be the Mission Secretary. Ha ha!

I wonder where President will ship me off to? I actually haven't seen hardly any of the Mission. Selma and Parlier are a whopping 30 minutes from Fresno. I've lived the last year and so many months in an hour radius!!! The Zone Leaders think I'll go to the southern zones. the future will be interesting.

  Well Dad, tell the family I love them. Sorry to mom, I'm still working on taking pictures. A bunch of missionaries made Christmas cards with the Wal-Mart printer, I didn't even know you could do that! I've been deprived! Oh well. I'm looking forward to talking with everyone. 'Til we meet! Rehearse your lines, we only get 45 minutes for the Christmas call!


Hi Mom,

  How are things? Hopefully your heart has warmed up to the snow a little bit after all these years! And your snowmen collection should help you on that pursuit as well!

  I sent most of the details of the week to Dad today, hopefully he shares. I've opened ties from both Davids, Kevin, Trevor, Dad, Jason, President Munro, and Brother Hughlett. I have missed a few days with exchanges and recent craziness, so I will be indulging a bit tonight. The letters have been really nice, thank you for putting that together for me!

  Elder Noyes and I have recalculated the plans and want to Skype at noon here, so 3 pm there. Hope that works. I'll try to have someone text you first. May need to send me the Skype address.

  Alright, that's all, we've gotta blast! But really, Dad has the rest, so please get it from him. Tell Sydney and Maura I love them!

Merry Christmas!"

--Elder Schaff

  "


No comments:

Post a Comment