Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Week 97 - Birthday Week

  Elder Schaff turns 20 this Friday. I sent him a birthday box earlier in the month, hoping he could pick it up at the last transfer hub. It contained 20 things for his 20th birthday. I asked friends on Facebook to email him and wish him a happy birthday on his preparation day yesterday. He said he had a lot of emails and it was great, so thank you everyone.His dad has been extremely busy at work the last several weeks and they have not been able to write back and forth much, so his comments were mostly directed to his dad this week. Also, we received his flight plan to return home on July 25th, so we are just one month away! Here are the emails that his dad and I received. I had taken a screen shot of his forecast, it is so HOT there compared to western NY, and this was his response. 



  "What, 101º? If we keep to that, we'll rejoice! The car thermometer keeps reaching 107º!"



  "Dad!

Thank you so much for that. That is a wonderful email. (Mom also noted that you were busy and let me know you might not have enough time. I would've lived without it, but I'm very grateful for your message!)

The days do indeed speed away. Sometimes they seem slow when the heat becomes tangible, but we get through them none-the-less. We figured we might bike more, but as we talk to everyone we meet, we mostly have appointments and potential enough to keep us busy all day! We started an initiative to strengthen the youth here as well, which was well-received by the Ward.

I have become a much better man. The change has been gradual, but Elder Schaff 2018 form is a much stronger individual than Elder Schaff 2016 form. Your emails have often lifted and inspired me, and I'm really just infinitely grateful for you and mom and our family.

Interesting that you note happiness, kindness, and other lessons. I have learned all of them. But I know you have not forgotten them. Even though you cite a time in your life when you didn't do as well, I bet you were aware of it. I remember you telling me as a kid: "I found out recently that optimists live longer son, and I realized that I don't always do that, so I've been trying to change the way I think." For whatever reason that little tid-bit of information permanently recorded in my mind. You've always been a good example of setting goals to accomplish something better in life, whether actions or character adjustments.

I pray for you often that work will be well. I know you can manage it! I'll contribute what I can to helping the family while I'm there! I think I can teach Sydney and Maura a thing or two!

The Lord surely has blessed us. I am bound to have a wonderful birthday after all the love I received today in email. Many people contacted me.

It is uncertain if I will make it to send mom an email. Hopefully I will. If not, express my love for her and keeping me posted!

-Love you Dad!

--Elder Schaff


  "Thank you so much Mom!

So many people emailed me today!

Dad did manage to email me, (more than he usually ever does!) So I focused my response more to him.

Know that I love you equally though, but I have run out of time here! We have to get from Madera to Fresno to fellowship the rest of our Zone playing sports there today,and attending to Elder Royce's district meeting, his 1st one!

Thank you for that quote!!!!! I wrote it down and I have plans to use it already. Know that that was a significant boost for me.

I love you Mom!!!!"


--Elder Schaff

Hayden's birthday package, hopefully he saves it until Friday!

20 Items to mark his 20th birthday- from 20 sticks of gum, 20 pieces of candy, 20 pens, 20 stamps, to $20 cash and a $20 gift card to Subway, plus some party supplies and cake mix that bakes in a mug and 20 candles too!


No comments:

Post a Comment