Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Week 91- Mother's Day Call Home

  This past Sunday we had our fourth and final video call from Elder Schaff. It was Mother's Day and he was able to Skype with us after he attended his church meetings. Since the missionaries in Fresno now have smart phones, he was able to Skype directly from his phone, using the wi-fi at the church. It was wonderful to see and hear him. We laughed and smiled and talked over each other, and the 45 minutes flew by, but it was perfect. He was happy and doing well, so that makes me happy. Since we were able to talk on Sunday, we didn't have much to email about on Monday. So, here is his short email and some photos from the week.

Skype session with Elder Schaff.
  "Well, it's good to know that I still have a reserve fund. (He had asked me to give him the balance of his checking account, since the statements come here) That's another thing--Elder W has also been enjoying the mission, because he is learning to budget. He said he went through money way too fast in college, mostly because he didn't know how to cut his costs. I think I'll be fine. Dad taught me well.

  How many more races does Maura have in track season? Maybe we'll keep fit and run together when I'm back! (his sister has been running the 400m, 800m or 1500m at track meets this spring)

  I explained most of the week, but we had interviews with President Mackay on Tuesday. He interviewed by companionship, so it was less personal. Elder T and I also taught the rest of the missionaries in the Zone while he interviewed. So, that was quite the task, that amounted to 3 hours of teaching. We practiced role-playing teaching skills with the missionaries, such as using scriptures effectively, teaching doctrine to meet personal needs, asking effective questions, and listening. It was good. After that, we exchanged with the District Leader in Fresno. (There are 2 district leaders in each zone, and zone leaders exchange with both of them.) I was not with the district leader, but his companion, Elder Lavatai.

  There weren't enough helmets for the bikes, so we actually walked all day. It worked out though. We talked to some cool people because of it. We had to run a mile home when we got out of a lesson at 9:20. We needed to make it by 9:30, but we made it at 9:33. We gave it our all though, running with a proselyting bag is difficult!!!

  It was a good learning experience for me and Elder L. It's the best crowd I can work with I feel. It's never been easy to work with investigators, but I've had great success lifting other missionaries and less-actives.

  That's about it for this week though! I'll send some pictures.

"We've got a Skype filter that gave me a beard."

"The contents of the board before we arrived for interviews. I thought it was a pretty great addition to the Primary song, Follow the Prophet."

"The Fresno temple as we walked by."

"We walked on a dusty trail when the sidewalk disappeared and took some shots like we were traveling on the roads to Jerusalem or something. I'm no model, but I thought it was funny."

"A drawing by Elder James (who took my spot as the Secretary). I enjoyed it."


--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment