Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Week 66 - Board Games, Tow Trucks a Cat and some Fog

  Well alright, here we are at the end of November, time is flying by as usual. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is this week, sounds like Elder Schaff and his companion have an invitation to dinner, so that is wonderful. He is busy and doing well, I seem to say that every week, but it is true and for that I am extremely grateful, more than anyone can really know or understand. Let's see what we can post to the blog from his emails to his father and I. Apparently, Michael had written to him about our Thanksgiving plans and hoping to play a bunch of board games during the holiday, and this is what he wrote back-

  "On the topic of games, Joel has informed me about a member in his area that gives us reason to talk with Joel. This member designs and sells board games, and Joel has played some on Preparation Days. He has the inside scoop on what's coming out of the factory!  "There is one member in our ward who makes board games and he is working on releasing one called P.... It is actually a really fun game. Today we spent some time playing it and testing it out . It is a card game based on building planes and hiring employees. It is still in the prototype phase, but it will be on Kickstarter in May. That is pretty exciting for them" (-Joel/Elder Christopherson)

To which I said: "You have a member that makes board games??? Strike a deal for the Schaff family while you're there eh? We'll beta test for him. Seriously!"

To which he said: "Dude I could totally get you the hookups. If you donate to the kickstarter you will get a free game if you donate enough. Tell your family to donate in March."

Further conversation required, but there you go, interesting I'll say. Anyway, you'd better get comfortable with your new games, because you've only got so long to win before I come give you a run for your money!

Schaffs are made of a lot of things, but games are a key ingredient!

Things are going well in the area, it was a quiet week; although Transfer Boards took place. President Mackay and the Assistants were making comments of "how it was hard to keep us Office Elders around." Which I was confused about at first, but a few days later the Assistants gave me a copy of the transfer board and I saw that I'm being called to be a District Leader while still in the office. Which makes sense why it's hard to have a district leader in the office. This transfer might get a little crazy! Or it will stay calm. My mission has never passed by faster!

Today a man got baptized that I taught with the current District Leader on an exchange. The exchange was in October but it seemed recent, life is but a moment.

I also had to break out laughing when I saw that Dylan was called to be a District Leader Secretary at the same time as I was. You should talk with the Manzanares' on that one. Elder Manzanares and I seem to be in sync with callings right now!

Things are going well. Our truck totally broke down on Wednesday, so now we're driving the mission van. Our Zone and District leaders helped find some potentials for us to teach, and things are looking up in the area.

I hope you have a nice week!"

-Elder Schaff

And here is the email he wrote to me, I had told him that his sisters were keeping me running with all of their activities and asking him about Thanksgiving-

  "As much as you thought one less child would be 33% less business, I believe I was usually the quiet one around town! 

Right now we have a Thanksgiving dinner and a bonus offer at 2:00, if we want to start off with that. It should be good.

Board games are exciting as always. I gave the details to Dad, but Joel met a member in his area that designs board games. I thought that was cool. Tell Maura she has to beat everyone for me while I'm incapable of doing battle on the board!

This week was a very quiet week until Friday. It's the quiet before the storm. Transfer hubs break out on Tuesday, and the missionaries hear their fates tonight. The Assistants gave me a copy of the transfer board (the physical piece of paper that models what will happen), and I was shocked to find myself called to be a District Leader while still serving as the Mission Secretary. So isn't that just a merry little Christmas? I guess I've been rejoicing a bit too openly about getting ahead on my office chores frequently, and talking about the time I have had to study the scriptures. This will be interesting. I've never even been the District Leader's companion! Apparently Dylan was also called to do exactly that as well, we're in sync!

It seems like life is going pretty well. How is Maura doing? I haven't heard from her for a while! 

Yesterday and today I studied in Alma chapters 17 and 18. I enjoyed the promise left at the end of Alma 17:15 and Alma 18:20-23. Ammon was determined to bring the blessing of repentance to all. He was able to cause a desire for understanding in the heart of King Lamoni, and when King Lamoni expressed that Ammon could teach him boldly because he wanted to know so badly, Ammon was given great power. And the only thing Ammon wanted was Lamoni's repentance and consequential joy. Lamoni was even "caught with guile" according to the scriptures and was led in such a way that he could in no way resist the Holy Ghost. 

Isn't that incredible? The simple desire of one man was converted into action that changed the heart of another. When we can lead people to sincerely desire truth, they will embrace it.

Alright, I'm sure there will be more to come next week, but I have some pictures. 

--Elder Schaff

"And here we have fog in Fresno"

More Fog

"The nice dusk of Fresno after the truck broke down and got towed."

"Elder Noyes holding a cat we lured into his arms."

No comments:

Post a Comment