Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Week 64 - "I Know the Sheep of the Mission!"

  Elder Schaff seems to be doing well. This is his report to his dad, and then some of what he sent to me this week-

  "This week passed by faster than Maura running past you fleeing a bee (his sister). Last Thursday we went out with our Ward Mission Leader to visit some families and individuals we can't normally visit because there typically isn't a male at home. (missionaries cannot teach a single woman without a third leader present) It went well and we developed a greater trust with him. Last week we were going to meet him to coordinate our efforts in the Ward a bit, when the attached quote was born. Elder N decided to make an additional quesadilla before we left the apartment, which made us a bit late, but not horribly so. Our Ward mission leader's response is the attached quote.

"An extra quesadilla is quite often required."
--Paul Bundy

  We laminated it, framed it, and gave it to him. He laughed and decided he would put it up in his classroom. (He teaches school in Parlier of all places, so I have some connection with him.)

  I'll try to get some pictures with members like him. That's a big blessing right now--we get to be around so many faithful members. The missionary work is a struggle at times, but everything else is great. Life can never be perfect, can it?

  I'm predicting I'll be in the office until January, maybe February, as it seems quite logical to keep me here for the Christmas chaos. I've outsmarted my work and responsibilities and I'm ahead of the schedule. I often have free-time and I'm studying the scriptures a lot. One of the Assistants (to the mission President) keeps getting really suspicious of me, that I'm not doing much, but it all gets done when he's not around. It must be rough to be an Assistant. Something happens to them all. They stop being themselves and get real up-tight. Elder M was called to be a new Assistant last transfer, and he's still doing well though, so we hope he'll break the mold.

  The leadership in general in the mission struggles a bit with pride right now. President Mackay is trying to work it out. It's interesting to be inside looking out with all the decisions that take place. It seems to me that increased humility and Christ-like sacrifice is all that's required here.

  That's for writing me as always, I appreciate it Dad.

--Elder Schaff

  "Thank you for forwarding the information and the compliment from Sister C Mom. ( I had told Hayden that a mother of one of the Fresno missionaries sent me a message on Facebook saying that she had spoken to him on the phone and that he was very helpful and sounded very grown up.) It's really funny for me when parents call, because I see their name on the office phone, so I know who they are and generally what they're calling about before they can express it. They usually explain to me that their son or daughter is serving there, and sometimes I say: "Why of course, we were here to greet them day one." I know the sheep of the mission! Like the missionaries you listed, I typed up their files long ago. ( I also sent him some names of missionaries who had entered the MTC this last week who are Fresno bound)  It probably gets to me when the missionary department sends the electronic acceptance of their call.

  What is the family plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Anything exciting happening this year?

  I replied to Sydney about marching band, what a nice way to end the season. She sure is becoming talented. She will have a nice array of paths in the future.

  I hope you get better from your sickness, flu season is hitting, and President Mackay made the great mandate for all missionaries to get a flu shot. I've had to call in for some lost missionary medical cards since missionaries have gone to get the shot and discovered that they don't have their card to get it for free. I really haven't been sick my whole mission, which I've been grateful for. I try to be more grateful for health these days since we all say we're never grateful for health until we're sick.

  Thank you for writing me, I'm always glad to hear from you. You'll have to talk with Dad, I ran myself out of time to write more.  Enjoy this document of a great quote from our ward mission leader. I think it's fridge-worthy. (quesadilla quote referenced above.)

--Elder Schaff​


No comments:

Post a Comment