Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Week 81 - An Unexpected Birthday Card, Zone Conference and More

  I went out and grabbed the mail from our mailbox last Tuesday and was so excited to see a card addressed to me in Elder Schaff's handwriting. He had mailed me a birthday card and I was really overwhelmed by all that he wrote to me. I think he has grown a lot while he has been serving his mission, and is definitely more aware of others and their concerns and feelings. Receiving that birthday card really made my day! He wrote multiple emails to multiple family members this week, the main one was sent to his dad, but I did get a short response. Here is all of his news for week 81.

Birthday card that Elder Schaff sent to Mom

  "Thanks Mom. Well, I wrote most of it to Dad and I don't have much time left today, so hopefully you can get it from him, because I'd also like to respond to Maura.

  This transfer is a 5-week transfer. What I didn't realize is that change will apparently move my release date to July 25th. That's what my Zone Leader, Elder K said. (We were in the MTC together, but different Districts.) So that could be interesting.

  The rain came this week. I took pictures, but forgot to bring my camera today. Sorry!

  I'll try to employ your counsel in our companionship. Thank you for your support Mom, I'm always grateful for your help.

Love,

--Elder Schaff


"Hi Dad, how are things?

  What's this business of a new truck? That looks pretty fancy! But you're going to be (able to be) giving a lot more service now that you've got a truck!



  Thank you for your spiritual thought, that's a good thing to consider. it's easy to get close to the Lord after some time of service to Him. It's hard to get close to companions or individuals that are more dynamic in personality. We're having a lot of good laughs, but planning together is our biggest struggle. The Elder that had this area has really just given up on visiting members, and the other Elder doesn't believe himself capable enough to plan for a foreign area. So, somehow I'm leading planning with 2 weeks of experience! But whatever, if that's what I need to do, so be it. It's not been the easiest road, but that's how it goes. We can do better when we all get involved, but I'll pull the weight I'm given. That's the companionship scoop.

  This week has been rainy, which limited our ability to talk to people. It seems like everyone hid inside and didn't want to open the door when it was rainy. We found one solid guy that loves Mustangs on Saturday. It was the highlight of our finding. We'll be visiting him tomorrow if it works out. He was interested in discovering the purpose of his life and what God wants him to do. I'm learning a lot of the members as well. We'll see if I end up being transferred or if that knowledge will come in handy. I'm not sure what President will have me do in future transfers. I could stay here in Madera, or get shipped to some area and asked to train a new missionary. I could even become a Zone Leader, but something tells me President won't have me do that.

  I've been the peacekeeper when arguments have broken out a few times in the companionship. When it's been my fault, the Spirit seems to have helped me recognize my errors quickly, so I can ask forgiveness and repent. I am doing quite well, but the area is a challenge, as it always seems to have been.

  I finished the book of Mormon (the prophet) this week and started Ether. I was amazed at quite a few gems I pulled out about the Atonement, the purpose of us having the Book of Mormon in our day, and about how Heavenly Father will fulfill His covenant to Israel. It was also incredible to ponder that Mormon did all of that on the run from Lamanites and at the head of the opposing army. 

  This passage teaches about the Atonement and what we should do to reach a state of everlasting happiness. In the end it's simple. And this man knew it well. He was a great example of faith, hope, and diligence. Especially when nobody else around him was.

Mormon Chapter 7:5-8

Know ye that ye must come to the knowledge of your fathers, and repent of all your sins and iniquities, and believe in Jesus Christ, that he is the Son of God, and that he was slain by the Jews, and by the power of the Father he hath risen again, whereby he hath gained the victory over the grave; and also in him is the sting of death swallowed up.
And he bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead, whereby man must be raised to stand before his judgment-seat.
And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.
Therefore repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus, and lay hold upon the gospel of Christ, which shall be set before you, not only in this record but also in the record which shall come unto the Gentiles from the Jews, which record shall come from the Gentiles unto you.

  I'm ready for another week. Who knows what it'll bring, but I'll give my all! Tomorrow is Zone Conference as well. It will be good to see President and get some trainings from that.

Love ya Dad!

--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment