Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Week 80 - Adventures in our Toyota Corolla

  This last week we took our girls to Florida, so I found myself writing to Elder Schaff at the airport before we flew back home. I had a hard time piecing together what I wanted to say, but in the end, got it done. I was happy to get his email later that evening. His new area is Madera, and he now has two companions to serve with until the next transfer. I'm not sure that driving dirt roads in a Toyota Corolla was a wise choice, I wonder what Elder Noyes would say to that?!

"Well, it's been a week.

  It hasn't been all that great to be honest, we had a sick Elder for a little bit and spent way too much time in the apartment. It's a one-bedroom apartment in fact, and with 3 Elders that makes for some apartment fever!

  The new area of Madera would be wonderful, if I were a Spanish missionary in a Spanish proselyting area, but alas, I'm confined to English for another transfer. It felt so wrong to tell a Spanish person the other day: "We have some Spanish missionaries that will be able to share more with you the next time, would you be alright with that?" I am a Spanish missionary, but I have to send interested people to the Spanish Elders. That's weird.

  Well, I've been studying the maps of Madera a bit, but I haven't gotten to know the area too well. That makes for tough planning, and a tough time helping our new companion out, Elder Corless. There's been some difficulties making the adjustment, and it's been stressful for him because he's now had 4 companions in the last 2 weeks. Also, his previous companion (not the Puerto Rico one) was not much of a fan of doing missionary work, so the area has been roughed up a bit, to say the least.

  The apartment was a mess when we arrived, I didn't take a picture beforehand, but I should have, the change was drastic. We scraped by on food, thanks to the fact that I brought peanuts and almonds from Chowchilla (ha ha!) We had Ramen as a back up, but we really didn't have anything too good this last week. It was a blessing to shop and buy things I like to make!!!

  We found 4 people to teach this week, but get this, they are all Young Single Adult aged, so we get jack! We have to refer them to the YSA Ward missionaries.

  Going back a little I guess, (it seems so long ago, I almost forgot it!) Monday night we drove down to President Mackay's house and arrived about 9:30 pm. We talked with him, Elder Corless, Elder Hales, and the Assistants, and then went to sleep. The beds in the guest room were super comfy and had blankets that reminded me of mine back home. I slept quite well. We woke up on Tuesday, had french toast with President and Sister Mackay, and went off to the Stake Center, because it was our Zone's day for interviews. During breakfast I asked President about a question I had from 3 Nephi 19, which he was able to explain to me. I've had a great time reading through 3 Nephi as I mark a lesson on every page of the Book of Mormon. I've come to understand the doctrines and the principles of the gospel more fully.

 Then we had interviews with the President, long time no see! He shared a vision for the mission of finding and supporting "the one" to reach baptism in March. He hopes every companionship will bring someone to the Gospel in March. We'll see if we can find anyone we don't have to give away! I also took a picture with my district there.

  The middle of the week was rough and slow. I'll just skip it.

  On Saturday we had our "off-roading adventure." Don't worry, we didn't actually go off road, nor do anything bad. We got a referral at the very edge of our area, 19 miles out in the rolling hills near Yosemite that I didn't even know existed. Well the house was a ranch way up in there, and the GPS routed us what we'll call "the adventure way." It was a road that hasn't been maintained for 3 years apparently. If you've ever played Hill Climb Racing, we did it in real life. We went up a bunch of dirt road hills in a Toyota Corolla. We scouted each hill to see if we would actually be able to get the car up it. We only got stuck on a hill once and had to go back down and then throttle at full speed to make it the next time. But don't worry mom, I made sure to let Elder L do the driving while I guided him from the side of the hill. No way was I accidentally slipping down a hillside in a car that didn't make it up the incline!

  Then Stake Conference on Sunday. Very spiritual, but not helpful in meeting members.

  That was the week. I hope to give you more of a report on the efforts of proselyting next week. I also finished 3 Nephi this week, which was great! I feel like a gathering of Israel champ now!

--Elder Schaff


Off roading in the hills near Yosemite.

Elder Schaff scouting the road.

Elders Laughlin and Corless

Where is the GPS routing us?!

"the adventuresome way"

Sunset in the hills.


​Off roading in the hills. The computer didn't take my camera card today, so I'll send the other photos next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment