Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Week 77 - Final Week with Elder B

  Well, Hayden didn't have too much to say this week. It's the final week of his companion's mission, Elder B returns home next week. Then Hayden will get a new companion and most likely a new area. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has announced changes to multiple mission boundaries, you can read all of the details in the press release in Mormon Newsroom, but two California missions will be consolidated into the surrounding missions, and Hayden and I were talking about that. Seems that the Fresno mission will expand to take on part of the Modesto mission. It shouldn't effect him too much, may just expand the area to serve in. Here is the email that he sent me this week-

"Hi Mom,

  Yes, we were informed of the boundary change. It will probably be as it was in previous years. We had a part of Modesto, not too long ago, according to history. Elder Baconawa actually came out earlier, and then went home, and returned afterward. He actually served out in Modesto during that time!

  Well, I'm not on time pressure, but I feel like I am, because Elder B hardly emails, and then just sits and waits for me to finish, which makes me feel bad that he's just there waiting... hopefully he's picked up the scriptures or something.

  Transfers are indeed next week. I fasted and prayed all throughout this last week and felt impressed that Chowchilla should be closed down for 2-4 transfers due to some of the conditions here and the apparent schedule conflicts during this "winter" season. Many people we visit have things going on for whatever reason, and want us to come by in a month or two. Those we do visit, only meet once, maybe twice a week, and so I have reached the conclusion that a rest would do some good here. So I responded to the assignment President gave me; ultimately he makes the decisions, but time will tell what happens.

  I have been studying the "First 12 weeks" booklet that is used in training, in case I am called to do so. I have read my journal a bit, but will read through more of it. I have found that the major frustrations (during my training) were not feeling loved, feeling the fear of failure, and being forced to do things I didn't think I could do. I think ever since then, I've been an understanding and supportive companion, and tried to avoid those problems. Every companionship, however, has had some sort of argument because my companion didn't like something I did, but was fearful of telling me. I'll have to figure out how to make people confident they can tell me. I invite correction at any time, and in the weekly planning, but maybe because I try so hard to keep the peace, it creates an atmosphere of fear to correct.

  It's good to hear that Dad is home again and that Sydney is doing well (she emailed me). Seems like most of the family is doing pretty good, but there's a lot of sickness going around, huh? It's been a bad year for illness. It's probably worse in the cold. It's getting up to the 70's down here and we fear that summer is already on its way back. If that's the case, I'm not prepared. 75 already feels too hot to work much!

  There's not a whole lot more going on right now. The weeks are quiet and so is Elder B. He told me last weekly planning, that he has enjoyed my efforts to hold a conversation, even when he's very quiet, so that was good to hear. You never know what someone's thinking if they don't talk!

  Finally, Elder Noyes secured a Hmong tie for me, since we made friends of the new Hmong Elders at Hmong New Year's. So I've gotten some nice treasures. Well, have a nice week, I'm sure news will come in the next!

--Elder Schaff​



No comments:

Post a Comment