Monday, September 4, 2017

Week 55 - Working in the Grape Vineyard

  Saturday was a busy day in the California Fresno Mission. Many of the missionaries were able to go and help with the grape harvest at the church owned vineyards in Madera. They pick the grapes and lay them out on paper to dry in the sun, so they can turn to raisins. I was hoping that Elder Schaff would have the opportunity to take part in the harvest, and apparently he did, so that is great. He had problems uploading photos, so I am hoping to see some from the vineyard next week. Here is his current news from the CFM. He was running short on time to type to me, but came up with a creative letter, which reads like scripture verses. Enjoy!

"Forgive me mother,

1 For it came to pass that I only have 9 minutes left to write my email.
2 For behold, I did email many other people this day.
3 Yea, and also my camera cannot connect to the computer I am using, so I cannot provide photos of these happenings either.
4 Nevertheless I shall write somewhat about my experiences this week.
5 And it came to pass on the twenty and eighth day of the eighth month in the land of Zion the Mission President did have transfers. And I, Elder Schaff, did help with those transfers, organizing all manner of missionaries into all manner of lines, yea exceedingly long lines, and telling them where to go. And also, I did go to, and help them move their luggage.
6. And after transfers we viewed the fruits of our labors and rejoiced, but were also far spent.
7. And on the next day of the eighth month we did process the incoming missionaries. And their number was twenty and two souls. And behold, the work was exceedingly great in the Mission office that day.
8. But lo, the new missionaries appear to be of great stature, not of the physical (save it were a few,) but of the spiritual.
9. And on the thirtieth day of the eighth month we did give the new missionaries their trainers. And again the work was also exceedingly great.
10. And now I, Elder Schaff, make some concluding remarks. For we did go to the Vineyard owned by the people of Zion in the land of Madera. And I, and my companion, and many others of the Saints, did labor there this morn. And much I did learn harvesting the grapes of the vineyard. 
11. I would speak unto you my brethren, that I have learned much in these days, and my faith in Christ is firmer. And also that there is much to do in the mission office of the land of Zion.


Alright. Other things I did this week was discover that my friend Dylan wrote a song for the 2017 Ask album. That was a surprise to turn on in our car and see his name. I also redesigned the California Fresno Mission logo this week and it was approved by the Mackays. (They asked me to change it.) I programmed a giant spread sheet with all the lists of supplies for missionaries, and had quite the time doing all the work to seal the deal with those arrivals. 

Also, we had one Elder LillyWhite with us this week, Mon-Fri, because his flight to Texas was cancelled until this morning due to the flooding. It was interesting to be a tri-panionship for a week!

I input the rest of the CFM's baptisms for August as well. We had 40 baptisms in August. Not too shabby. But we know we can do more. In a leadership meeting on Friday, President Mackay discussed this and we set a new goal, which ended up being 127 baptisms for September. It seems absurd, but is best described by: "The Spirit was dancing around the room when that was set." --Elder Gray 

So the upcoming week is going to be legendary. 

And if it wasn't made clear, pictures will come next week of us working in the Vineyard.

Love you everyone!"

--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment