Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Week 68 - Sick with the Flu

  This week the only email from Elder Schaff went to his Dad's account. He is working through getting the items replaced in his stolen wallet and was relieved that his new bank card had arrived in the mail. Although that has been stressful, he has also been sick.

  "**Gaaaaaack khmncm khmnc kpgtb!** Well, we're on the run again as we sometimes are. I'll try to just explode all I have to say here with you, and you can share it with everyone. 

  I'm glad the family is doing well, because I myself am rather poor and it was sad to lose what I did have. But I've gotten over that. Possibly because I got a new challenge to face. I got the flu or something like it.** Our Mission President had warned us to get flu shots, and Elder Noyes and I attempted to do so, but Walgreens had the wrong birthday for Elder Noyes and so he couldn't get it and we decided to come the next week. We ran out of time that week, then the next my wallet was taken, and I lost my insurance card, and now I am sick. Fortunately, I've made a nice recovery today, and a lot of congestion and gunk is coming out. But this week has been pretty miserable. We did good work, but my body wasn't having it. Fortunately the Tardiff's, the senior couple in the office, really took care of me and provided me with some medicine and things we didn't have.

  I went on my first exchange as a district leader this week. It was strange to be on the other side of things and give counsel on how to improve, but I felt prepared and capable of doing so. We didn't end up visiting anyone on the exchange though, we just rode the bikes and tried to talk to people, so there wasn't much to evaluate. That's the downside of calling the Secretary to be district leader. Nonetheless, I'm doing well with that.

  This week was pretty plain for teaching visits. We just met with a Sister that is struggling a bit with the culture of the church, and it was an interesting experience to get to see through her eyes. She removed her name from the records and was later re-baptized, and this has caused some members to react rather unnaturally to her. She explained her situation, and we learned that lots of members that are less-active or struggling don't like the huge attention our ward councils tend to create around them. Rather, she was looking for people to just be normal, genuine, kind, and accepting. Unfortunately, it seems difficult for us members to do that sometimes, huh? So a little perspective on the inside--don't be overbearing, be realistic. 

  I'd like to write more, but we have to get off to an appointment. I love you all! I'm doing better now, and I'm glad to hear things are well at home. Have a great week!"

--Elder Schaff

No comments:

Post a Comment